Monday, October 16, 2006

Success.

San Francisco, CA.



What is success?

Most of us grow up with people telling us of how important success is in life. We often hear stories about people who made it big, and maybe sometimes how happy they are. So we go about life in search for this 'success'.

But what really is success? Is it supposed to bring us happiness, or just the perception of others that we are happy, because in some light, we are successful to them? If so, how important is it to be successful? Since it could possibly be, different for everyone.


'We need to know our purpose in order to be successful.'


I heard that sometime ago, and ever since, I've been trying to gain clarification and certainty about my purpose. And Id like to think that I've found this 'purpose' of mine, because its just so hard to move, not knowing where we are going.



//



The thing about us as people,


Most of us know what to do, but we don't go about doing it.


Many times I've found myself deviating from that inner compass of mine that heads north. During my bad days, even when I have the feeling of where north is, I guess the force just as in Lost causes my plane to crash...and not do what I should.



//



Finals are in less than a month. With the many things that would be happening, I want to approach the last 3 weeks of University life here in Malaysia with open arms. Things doesn't seem as easy as it used to be, which comes with its good and bad.

For Sydney, besides my accommodation, I've got my flight booked and paid my fees. Looks like Im really making my way down there in less than 4 months.



//



A new hair-do anyone? d=)




.sm.

12 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

something i read abt success, "don't take another person's definition of success as your own."

i tend to think of "success" as doing what God called one to be - or rather one's purpose in life... and living his/her dream.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Felix,


Is success a destination, or is it something we can continually live in?


Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.



d=)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

If a caterpillar whose destination is to become a butterfly, then I'd view success as the completion of its purpose - the successful transition from the cocoon stage to being a butterfly.

Likewise, if eternity (Heaven) is our destination, success would be the completion of our God-given purpose.

Ok, yet I know it's so easy and almost customary for everyone to view wealth, status, power or fantastic scholastic aptitude as a standard, which we use to measure our degree of success. I do too, sometimes.

Haha.. Lemme share something with you that I came across in this book written by Dr. Miles Munroe.


- Success is the fulfillment and the completion of original intent for for the creation or production of a product.

- Success is obedience to purpose (or what God told you to do).

- Success is not what you have done compared to what others have done, but what you have done compared to what you were supposed to do.

Success can only defined by purpose and measured by obedience.



I thought that the last statement is quite true though. To answer your question, I think it's a little bit of both, depending on how you view it. :)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Hehe, nice, such a long one.


Munroe's book, this should be 'Understanding Your Potential'?


Agreed, and thats why our purpose is so important.



;o)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

nope, the title of the book which I read was 'In Pursuit of Purpose.' haha.

btw, you can view that piece of music(crap) i wrote at www.guinness.com.my. they uploaded the wrong piece of music - it's sooooo not perfect. eeeeekss... malunya! and that wasn't even the final revision which i submitted.

no, don't listen to it. but im fully aware that it's a human tendency to do the things upon which others place a restriction to.

like now, the more i tell you not to, the more you wanna listen to it, right? right? so, it's pretty much pointless telling you not to and wasting my fingers' strength typing any further.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Hehe, didnt knoe youre Munroe's fan!


Anyways, it doesnt sound THAT bad. Where did you record it?


Melody still pretty alright. Wait, its the one you need to click to go to right?



d=)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

the one i wrote is the one with guitars only.

the 2nd one was done by Weng Onn, by compiling loops only. He didn't play it. Haha! I thought it was a masterpiece!!!

well, i recorded it in my bedroom. some were recorded in Weng's bedroom. muahahaha! all drum & percussion parts were created by mouse clicks only. the only REAL recorded instruments were the electric guitar and bass.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Hmmm,


Then I didnt get to listen to it then! Cant seem to find guitars only track.


Any tips on how to navigate?



;o)

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

hahaha... this is starting to turn into a chat conversation.

oh, what i really meant was, it was the first track - guitars only; meaning no keys, just the guitars, bass and drums. :)

you definitely would have heard it, before viewing the flash animation.

i knew it didn't sound THAT bad, but it sounded quite bad. haha!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Yeah man,


This is a chat room already. Haha!


Oh I see, hmmmm, but the one I heard is like after the animation.



d=)

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE GREATER SUCCESS OF A MAN IS...
slaying the demons in his heart,
conquering the enemies of his integrity,
loving the life that he has,
living the purpose of his God.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Sam said...

d=) ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home